He is Vice-Chair of the BELMAS Council and the Society’s Coordinator for International Affairs and their representative on the CCEAM Board. He is a member of the BERA Conference Committee and ASCL Local Representative for Hampshire and a Fellow of the Chartered College of Teaching.
Ian is the Chief Executive of the Gosport and Fareham Multi-Academy Trust. The GFM is the first local Multi-Academy Trust (MAT) in Hampshire, United Kingdom. Prior to its formation in 2017, he was the Headteacher of Bay House School during which time all five Ofsted inspections judged the leadership to be outstanding.
Ian’s research interests include System Leadership. He co-coordinates the International School Leadership Development Network Researching Social Justice Leadership in schools internationally.
- James, C., James, J. S. & Potter, I., (2017) An exploration of the validity and potential of adult ego development for enhancing understandings of school leadership; School Leadership and Management.
- Miller, P. & Potter I (2017) Whole School Development Across Borders: Leading Intercultural and Cross-Cultural Learning In MILLER, Paul (Ed) Cultures of Educational Leadership: Global and Intercultural Perspectives Palgrave Macmillan
- Potter, I (1994) Education For Change And Change For Education in Quality World Vol 20 (11) November 1994
- Potter, I (1994) Gas Works in School In Teamtalk published by the National Society for Quality through Teamwork (NSQT) August 1994
- Potter, I (2017) Change in Context and Identity: The Case of an English School Leader In ANGELLE, Pam (Ed) A Global Perspective of Social Justice Leadership for School Principals Information Age Publishing
- Potter, I (2017) Developing Social Justice Leadership through Reflexivity. In ANGELLE, Pam (Ed) A Global Perspective of Social Justice Leadership for School Principals Information Age Publishing
- Slater, C., Potter, I., Torres, N. & Brinco, F. (2014) Understanding Social Justice Leadership: An international exploration of perspectives of two school leaders in Costa Rica and England. Management in Education
- Potter, I, Chitpin, S (2020) Professional development for school leaders in England: decision-making for social justice
- Woods, PA, Torrance, D, Donnelly, C, Hamilton, T, Jones, K, Potter, I (2020) Diverging Systems of Educational Leadership in the Four Nations of the United Kingdom